Seek Him In Fasting
SEEK HIM IN FASTING - Various Passages
Fasting: Abstaining from food (or something else) for measured periods of time to increase my hunger for the things of God.
- We are all hungry for food (Matthew 4:1-4).
- Our appetite for food distracts us from God's will and work (John 4:1-8).
- We need to fast from food (or other things) in order to align our hearts with God's will and work (John 4:31-35).
By fasting we express our hunger and thirst for Jesus:
- to reign in our hearts and lives
- to revive our church, city and country
- to return to earth in glory
Kinds of fasts:
- Soul fast: refocus a specific area of your life - break into healthy balance
- Selective fast: remove certain elements from your diet - no meat, no sugar
- Partial fast: no food during specific times - 6am-3pm, sun up-sun down
- Complete fast: no foods, only liquids - water or light juices
Keys to fasting:
- Have a purpose - reason to fast
- Make a commitment - choose kind of fast and set a time table
- Prepare myself physically and spiritually - gradually take food away, confess, filling, faith
- End your fast gradually - need to reawaken your digestive tract
- Do it regularly - make it a spiritual discipline