Importance of Baptism
IMPORTANCE OF BAPTISM
- I am baptized because it is commanded (Matt. 28:19-20; Acts 2:38).
- I am baptized as a step of obedience that demonstrates my love for Christ (John 14:21).
- I am baptized by immersion because it pictures Christ's death, burial, and resurrection (Col. 2:12; 2 Cor. 5:17; Rom. 6:1-4).
- Baptism does NOT...
- Guarantee my salvation
- Make God love me more
- Baptism is an outward expression of my inward decision to follow Jesus by:
- Accepting the fact that I'm a sinner (Rom. 3:23, 6:23)
- Believing that Jesus died to pay the penalty I owe for my sins (Rom. 5:8)
- Confessing Jesus as my Lord and Savior (Rom. 10:9-10, 13)